Brendan Rodgers says Chelsea’s deal to secure transfer of Mohamed Salah is not yet complete and Liverpool are still hoping to persuade Egypt international to move to Merseyside.
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers says he has not given up hope of securing the transfer of Mohamed Salah from Basle.
Chelsea announced on Thursday that a deal had been agreed for the Egypt international to move to London, with a £12 million fee that could eventually rise to £16 million, and he is expect to undergo a medical on Friday.
However, Rodgers said on Friday morning that Liverpool are still keen to bring him to Merseyside.
“I’m not sure whether that deal is definitely done yet or not,” Rodgers told talkSPORT. “The young guy is a good player. We have tracked him for a number of months, the club has been watching him and I have been to watch him.
“It is one where the agent of the player and the clubs were talking but if the deal can’t be done, the deal can’t be done. I know the club has been working very hard to get players in. I’ll leave that to them and see how they get on.”
Rodgers said he believes Salah is a player who would enhance Liverpool’s attacking options but that would not be panicked into pursuing other options if the club misses out.
“He’s a boy that is a talent,” Rodgers said. “He is 21 years of age and people saw his qualities in the games against Chelsea and Tottenham in Europe, but you need to have that list because if it doesn’t work out then you are hoping there are one or two others.
“It is a very difficult market. It is hard to bring in players that can improve the team, especially in this window. I’d rather wait and look at our young players than bring in one or two squad players.”