Connect with us

News

Canada Election; Prime Minister Trudeau rules out coalition after election

Published

on

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has ruled out forming a coalition government, after his Liberal party lost seats in Monday’s general election.

The Liberals retained power but fell short of a majority.

On Wednesday, prime minister Trudeau said he would be sitting down with other party leaders to discuss parliamentary support for his minority government.

The prime minister said he remained committed to a controversial oil pipeline expansion project.

The general election saw the Liberals’ representation in the House of Commons reduced from 177 to 157 seats, 13 short of a majority.

In his first public appearance since then, Mr Trudeau said he would be focusing his legislative efforts on issues like climate change and the cost of living – which many voters who supported other parties made clear they still cared about.

The Liberal leader struck a conciliatory note, saying that many involved in the divisive election now “regret the tone” of that campaign.

His Liberal party was completely shut out of two western Canadian provinces – Alberta and Saskatchewan – which nearly exclusively elected Conservative MPs.

Voters there turned away from Mr Trudeau’s party amid complaints that the region’s interests are not represented in the capital, Ottawa, and growing talk of “western alienation” in Canada’s oil-producing heartland.

He took an initial step by confirming his government’s commitment to the Trans Mountain oil pipeline expansion project, which has faced legal hurdles and opposition from environmental campaigners and some First Nations.

The prime minister said he would seek to ensure that the region’s interests are represented in his cabinet.

Two Liberal ministers – Saskatchewan MP Ralph Goodale and Alberta MP Amerjeet Sohi – both lost their seats in the Conservative sweep of the Canadian prairies.

A new cabinet will be sworn-in on 20 November.

On Tuesday, prime minister Trudeau’s rivals said it would be up to the him to ensure that parliament will work.

But they issued few details on the demands they would place on the PM for their support.

“We’re not going to negotiate any of those things today, and we’re certainly not going to negotiate any of those in the media,” said NDP leader Jagmeet Singh, who could potentially become kingmaker in the House of Commons.

Conservative leader Andrew Scheer, whose party won a greater share of the popular vote than the Liberals but fewer seats, said it was imperative that Mr Trudeau focused on national unity.

“We have a divided country,” he told journalists on Tuesday. “It is essential for Justin Trudeau to take this seriously, to try to find common ground.”


Continue Reading
Click to comment

Featured

Key Moments from Trump’s Impeachment Hearing

Published

on

Trump's Impeachment
Continue Reading

Featured

Heartbreaking; Another School Shooting Santa Clarita, CA

Published

on

Santa Clarita School SHooting

Santa Clarita, California, high school shooting leaves 2 students dead, multiple injured

SANTA CLARITA, Calif. (KABC) — A 16-year-old boy shot five fellow students, two fatally, Thursday morning at Saugus High School in Santa Clarita before turning the .45-caliber handgun on himself, authorities said.

A Los Angeles County Fire Department spokesperson said multiple 911 calls prompted firefighter-paramedics to respond about 7:40 a.m. to the school at 21900 Centurion Way.

Six students, including the gunman, were found in the quad suffering from gunshot wounds, Sheriff Alex Villanueva said at a news conference. All six were transported to hospitals, where two of them, a 16-year-old girl and a 14-year-old boy, were later pronounced dead.

The surviving victims were described as two girls, ages 14 and 15, and a 14-year-old boy.

In a tweet, Henry Mayo Hospital said it had received four patients.

Their names were not immediately disclosed. The sheriff said the deceased girl’s parents were at the hospital. He was notified of the second fatality during a press conference at the school.

Gunman turns .45 caliber on himself

According to sheriff’s Capt. Kent Wegener, surveillance video “clearly” shows the suspect pulling a semi-automatic handgun out of his backpack in the quad and shooting five classmates before shooting himself in the head.

Thursday was the gunman’s 16th birthday, the captain said.

He was listed in grave condition at a hospital, according to Villanueva.

In the immediate aftermath of the shooting, authorities released a description of the suspect as a manhunt got underway. Heavily armed deputies and an armored SWAT vehicle were seen at a home near the school, but it was unclear if the house was connected to the investigation.

The high school remained on lockdown for hours after the incident. Shortly before 11 a.m., lockdowns were lifted at all campuses in the district, as well as Rosedell and Highland elementary schools.

Central Park, at 27150 Bouquet Canyon Road, was being used as a reunification point for parents and students, the Sheriff’s Department said.

Undersheriff Tim Murakami tweeted an apology to parents, saying investigators need to interview “every student at Saugus HS” before they can be released.

In a statement, the White House said President Donald Trump was monitoring ongoing reports about the shooting.

“The White House encourages all those in the area to follow the advice of local law enforcement and first responders,” the statement said.

Gov. Gavin Newsom tweeted an expression of gratitude to the emergency responders.

“We simply should not have to fear for our kids’ lives when we drop them off at school,” the governor said. Addressing Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, Newsom asked: “How many more lives will be lost? How many more shootings will we have to endure? We need commonsense gun reform. NOW.”

Amid the chaos at the scene, the number of reported victims fluctuated throughout the morning. The sheriff later confirmed that six people were shot, including the gunman.


Continue Reading

Business

McDonald’s CEO fired for consensual relationship with employee

theagendadailypr@gmail.com'

Published

on

McDonald’s CEO Steve Easterbrook out after ‘poor judgment’ involving relationship with employee

McDonald’s board voted to remove CEO Steve Easterbrook, the fast-food giant announced on Sunday, citing “poor judgment involving a recent consensual relationship with an employee.”

Chris Kempczinski, the current president of McDonald’s USA, has been named CEO effective immediately. He will also join the board.

“Kempczinski succeeds Steve Easterbrook, who has separated from the Company following the Board’s determination that he violated company policy and demonstrated poor judgment involving a recent consensual relationship with an employee,” the company said.

McDonald’s CEO Easterbrook, who is divorced, wrote in an email to employees that the consensual relationship “was a mistake.”

“As for my departure, I engaged in a recent consensual relationship with an employee, which violated McDonald’s policy,” Easterbrook wrote. “This was a mistake. Given the values of the company, I agree with the board that it is time for me to move on. Beyond this, I hope you can respect my desire to maintain my privacy.”He also said that his time as CEO “have been the most fulfilling years of my working life.”

RELATED: McDonald’s chief people officer is leaving the company in the wake of its CEO’s departure

RELATED: Extremely Useful tips for first time Health Insurance Buyers

Easterbrook had served as CEO since March 2015. Easterbrook, who is British, joined McDonald’s in 1993 as a financial reporting manager based in London. Throughout his career, he served as the global chief brand officer, president of McDonald’s Europe, and CEO of McDonald’s U.K. He also spent time as a McDonald’s restaurant manager. On a now-removed corporate webpage, McDonald’s said Easterbrook led its turnaround “by sparking the evolution of its company culture.”

Enrique Hernandez Jr., chairman of McDonald’s board of directors, called new CEO Kempczinski “the best leader to set the vision and drive the plans for the Company’s continued success.”

“He has the right mix of skills and experience to lead us forward having run our U.S. business, where franchisees are delivering strong financial and operational results, and overseen global strategy, business development and innovation,” Hernandez said in a statement. “In particular, Chris was instrumental in the development of the Company’s strategic plan, which has enabled global growth and leadership, and has overseen the most comprehensive transformation of the U.S. business in McDonald’s history.”

Meanwhile, Joe Erlinger, president of the international operated markets, will take over Kempczinski’s most recent role as president of McDonald’s USA, effective immediately.

Shares of McDonald’s closed down 1.4%, -$2.76, on Friday to end the week at $193.94.

Continue Reading

Trending